The Tigers beat the Yankees for the second straight game last night at Comerica Park to extend their winning streak to six games. This was the most “tigers” Tigers game of the year…the facts:
- Miguel Cabrera is a monster, hit his 29th home run and knocked in two more with a double, again proving he should be the MVP, but he won’t be.
- Austin Jackson got on base, scored a run but still struck out three times…pretty status quo.
- After only 3 games of using the line up Jim Leyland claimed he was going to use, he stopped. Instead of patting Berry second in the order, or Dirks, or Boesch, ANY left handed hitter and Omar Infante ninth against a right handed pitcher, Leyland instead put 3 straight right handed hitters at the top of the line up. Not that it matter, but its very like Leyland to claim he’s going to do something then just not do it because he felt like it.
- Rick Porcello couldn’t get out of the 7th inning, pitching decently well, what everyone would like from him, a “quality start.” But, for some reason was given a standing ovation for allowing 3 runs on 8 hits in 6 2/3 innings. If this was a sarcastic standing ovation, bravo to you fans involved, that is funny. If you were serious, is it because you actually thought he pitched well enough to deserve one? (he didn’t) or the expectation bar he set is so low that any time he surpasses it you feel inclined to really cheer him on? (this could be a possibility) Can we set a standard here, you AT LEAST need to make it through the 7th inning to be given a standing ovation and probably should have given up less than 3 runs…or you struck out some ridiculous number of hitters…deal.
- Jose Valverde got the save but enraged a fan base at the same time. The man likes to live dangerously, at least he got the job done (eventually) tonight.
So there you have it, pretty normal Tigers game, basically what I would usually expect out of them most nights. Ten games over .500, 1/2 game behind the pale hose for first in the division. They go back at it again tonight Anibal Sanchez vs. CC Sabbathia…anyone know if the CC actually stands for chocolate chip? just asking…7:05 EST start time, see if they can make it 7 in a row!